Stories, thoughts, observations, rants and dribble. Just another of my attempts to keep the interested people informed ...

Monday, August 04, 2008

Generally upsetting things happening

Today I went on a bit of a mission to pick up some money owed for services rendered last month, and while I was on the train, I noticed a girl wearing a black top with huge silvery writing that said:

BIZARRE
MUST
AWESOME
WANT

Odd. I picked up my moneys (and it turned out that I didn't actually have to make the hour plus trip out there, but never mind. I had the opportunity to take a new cross-harbour ferry, and make some purchases I'd been meaning to make for ages. I also had the opportunity to take a picture of a giant sneaker slide. Unfortunately, it was closed.



After a quick and cheap lunch (thanks, Yoshinoya), I had to wait an upsettingly long time for my bus, which made me a few minutes late for my class. While I was on the bus, I noticed a man at one of the bus stops that looked strangely like a Chinese version of Bobcat Goldthwait. That was weird enough, but I noticed him trying to smooth a notice back on to a lamp post. Whether he was just trying to read it, or trying to make it look nicer, I don't know. I thought that it was marginally odd behaviour (and he was making really weird facial expressions), and this was when I noticed that from the end joint up, his left thumb branched into TWO THUMB TIPS. Nails and everything. As I was blinking in disbelief at the strangely heart-shaped malformation, the bus took off. Whew. I have never seen a branching digit like that before. [After a quick squizz at trusty Wikipedia, apparently polydactyly (extra fingers or toes) occurs once in every 500 live human births. That seems ... a lot more common than I would have thought. And it's more common in Amish populations, but I'll leave that one for you to consider.]

The rest of the day has gone by without too much disturbingness, but then of course there is this horrific story of a double beheading (parental guidance recommended), and, not to be outdone, another one, with added cannibalism (raw, and in front of a busload of innocent Canadians). [Little bro, if you're reading this, don't read this story, okay?] What the hell is going on?

I'm actually in a pretty good mood, though, through a combination of a few things and a few people. If anybody needs cheering after reading the weirdness, there is always this, and this, and, even though it's in Russian, this. Thank goodness for cute (and sorry to people who have already seen these links, but surely you can't have too much cute?).

No comments: