Stories, thoughts, observations, rants and dribble. Just another of my attempts to keep the interested people informed ...

Friday, July 28, 2006

Episode 4: In which they visit the egomaniacal past

Location: Mt Nemrut area
Date: 24.05.06

As always happens when I visit the remains of ancient empires and kingdoms, I am amazed at the elaborate extent of structures and memorials.

After the town of Kahta we got to see an old Roman bridge, royal burial sites, old fortresses and the capital of ancient Commagene with its treacherous stairwells to underground temples.

We saw columns, carvings, statues, reliefs. Apollo, Mithridates I, Heracles. Lions, eagles, bulls.
The old kings of the area even went so far as to slice the tops off a hill and a mountain and replace them with more aesthetically pleasing pyramids of pebbles.

I guess royal burials can't be ordinary. But more on that later.

No comments: