Stories, thoughts, observations, rants and dribble. Just another of my attempts to keep the interested people informed ...

Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Eternal Flame

Just enough time to squeeze in another post before dinner, a pre-party party and tomorrow's bus trip to Antalya and then on to SoulClipse.  I still don't have a tent to sleep in ...
 
We spent last night here in Olympos, near the slopes where the Chimaera (naturally occurring flames from the earth) resides.  After a fantastic buffet dinner, Erin and I took a shuttle to see the fire at night.  The shuttle was late, the guide a bit mad and the walk up the mountain a little bit strenuous, but it was entirely worth it to see fire spouting from bare rock.  According to the guide books, the mountainside has been leaking since before ancient Greek times - gas that combusts on contact with air.  Apparently nobody knows what the composition of the gas is (which I am skeptical about) and the flames were much bigger a couple of millenia ago (easier to believe, and I can see why the locals thought there were gods involved).  It was impressive to turn the corner and see flames dancing on the hillside, and especially haunting when some fellow sightseers began playing flutes and drums.  I naturally have taken far too many photos, including some cheesy ones and a disturbing one with what appears to be the partial profile of a Beelzebub-alike ... I'll upload them when I can.
 
Meanwhile, I'm off again, repeat last sentence of my last post ...

No comments: